Jackie Rabbit's version of 'Bookhead'

Jackie Rabbit's version of 'Bookhead'
I am still in shock of the amazing piece of art I have for the remainder of my life! How lucky am I to have found such a talented and hardworking artist! Click on the picture to check out her website at her shop, Star City Tattoo and Piercings

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Birth of a Fire Starter

To begin my blog, I have to say that I think I have been an Atheist my whole life. It took a little intestinal fortitude to come out and say it when I was around 20 years old. Having grown up in a somewhat religious home, but not really. It was hard to admit being an Atheist and even harder to ask questions about religions problems. I grew up in a Republican household, where the values of conservatism was key. My father would bash the theories of evolution and call Atheists, 'Communists'. I remember President George Herbert Walker Bush saying,"I don't know that Atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots." At that time, I didn't know what an Atheist was. I certainly didn't know exactly how ignorant and closed minded this statement was at the time. Sometimes I am amazed at how open-minded I am considering my background and up bringing.

My father was an alcoholic that lived the motto, do as I say, not as I do. He would read the Bible and tell me that our family's core values were God, Country and Family. In that order! As I got older and he began to learn more about evolution, he started to believe more in the theory of creation and evolution walking hand in hand. Even he in all of his southern baptist background couldn't deny the history of this Earth. 

Atheism has brought me closer to the fragility of life. I do not understand the mysticism behind what people think this life is supposed to bring. Why do people feel they need a celestial dictator watching them in order to be moral? Why do they feel that a deity gave us morals? If he is the one who gave us morals, then why are we, as humans, so messed up? I think individually we are at heart good and moral people. But once you put us (humans) in a large room together and have a preacher, minister, pastor and child molesters telling us how to interpret documents, that are in most cases older than 2,000 years, we are as ignorant and stupid as it gets. This level of ignorance is something that I like to call, "Southern Baptists".

As a somewhat deep and Freethinker, I do not see or feel the need for a mind reading celestial dictator in my life. When I accomplish  good deeds, I do not want someone to promise or procure me rewards in this life or an afterlife. When I do bad things, I want my punishments according to my secular society, not punishments from people with an imaginary friend(s). I acknowledge the fact that this is my one and only life on this Earth. I do not expect or want nothing more than what I can personally achieve in this mortal life and this reality called Life. 

During my blog that I hope to keep up at least through my college years, I will be discussing these things and way more topics about our lives as human beings on this Earth. I also hope to improve on my writing abilities and style to convey my philosophies and thoughts on not only Atheism and religions, but also daily life.

I welcome anyone with questions to me and I also welcome any type of debate on this and many other subjects. I am always up for good conversation and a meaningful debate. In this blog I will be using adult language at times, but only when I feel that it is necessary. I hope anyone with comments will fell free to do the same. I feel that some words are appropriate in getting a point across. I also realize that some people will debase the language and completely over use some words. I will not participate in that. I will not sugar coat anything for anyone at any one time. I also hope that any comments will not be that way towards me. I hope that I do offend people and make you think about your life and the possibilities that lie within. I want to talk and deal with life's realities. Not possibilities and archaic dream worlds. Bring up superstitions, they are what fascinates me the most, but don't expect respect for your ancestor's superstition from me or any other Anti-Theist/Atheist.

1 comment:

  1. Finally a person that speaks what is on his or her mind justin i agree for years i thought something was wrong with me because i questioned everthing that i ever heard in sunday school just to be shut down around every turn. I like you were raised by the do as i say not as i do rule. And my dad was a raging acholic and i still idolized him for no reason. I made my way through life lost and on the day i lot my older brother i had nothing but questions and all everyone had to say is that he is in a better place what place, better than earth here with the people he loves. So then i begin to look into how religon was based on false pretence and scare tactaics. I then joined the marines where religon is forced just as much as kill kill and no reason except for the fact that they wanted to brain wash and religon is the best way to go. But as i got older i understand more that i hate religon, the idea of religon, and feel better about my self being athiest. I get brow beaten everytime i tell someone that i am Athiest, more so than ever before when i cared less about a religion. I think there for i am. I belive.....In science the fact that we are made up of atoms. The fact that we didnt just appear out of thin air. I believe in the fact that the fucking dinosours did roam the eath which some religons dont belive in....In closing i am an athiest and proud to say i plan on raising my children with a open mind and an open heart and if i do well they will chose what makes them happy and i have never been happier and clear of distraction im not affraid of the spegetti monster in the sky.

    ReplyDelete